IMPACT Georgia State is the University’s official crowdfunding platform that provides registered student organizations, faculty and staff with a tool to raise awareness and support for their passion projects which require immediate funding.
The IMPACT platform provides a new avenue for members of the Georgia State community to support individual projects that are most meaningful to them and helps campus-led initiatives achieve philanthropic goals.
IMPACT GEORGIA STATE PROJECT PHASES:
1 – QUIET PHASE:
• The quiet phase takes place at least four (4) weeks prior to the project’s launch date.
• This phase is used to prepare for the campaign - project leaders are identified who will be charged with managing the team and everything involved with setting up the campaign, including assigning various tasks to team members.
• Project team leaders and members should attend a crowdfunding training/information session hosted by Annual Programs. Details and registration can be found here.
• Each project team will have support from Annual Programs to help plan and develop their campaign.
2 – LIVE PHASE (CAMPAIGN LAUNCH):
• The live phase of a campaign is the time in which the project is active, typically 30 days.
• During the campaign, team members are expected to send out at least four (4) email solicitations or “asks” to their personal contact lists, make four (4) video updates to their project page, push out asks via social media, and otherwise make themselves available to answer questions about and raise awareness around their project.
3 – STEWARDSHIP PHASE:
• After the project has ended, groups are responsible for sending out thank you emails, final update videos, and any other stewardship actions. If your project involves a trip, the group should provide additional follow up to donors after the trip is complete.
• During this phase it’s important to show donors how their support has made an impact on the project. Donors who feel appreciated and know their gift made a difference will be more likely to support future projects.
The IMPACT Georgia State Platform is administered by the Annual Programs office of Development & Alumni Affairs. All funds raised are processed by the Georgia State University Foundation and are subject to its policies and regulations. Questions regarding projects or the application process should be directed to Michael Rohling, Assistant Director of Annual Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is Crowdfunding?
Crowdfunding is the practice of funding a project or venture by raising monetary contributions from a large number of people. Crowdfunding campaigns are driven by peer-to-peer relationships and allow groups to utilize their personal networks to raise funds for a specific cause in a relatively short amount of time.
Who is eligible to utilize IMPACT Georgia State?
IMPACT Georgia State is a resource available to all faculty, registered student organizations, and staff at Georgia State University who are raising funds for university-affiliated initiatives.
What type of projects will be considered for an IMPACT Georgia State Project?
Projects that further the mission of Georgia State University with a tangible benefit to students, faculty, or the Georgia State community as a whole will be considered. Projects are taken into consideration on a case-by-case basis. Projects that do not directly benefit GSU students, faculty, or programs will not be considered. Projects with goals to fund individuals, office supplies, catering costs, t-shirts, or similar items will also not be considered. IMPACT Georgia State cannot be used to fund independent business or charity ventures.
I think my project is right for IMPACT Georgia State. What’s next?
▪ Applications can be submitted using the Apply link above and are reviewed upon receipt.
▪ Applications are submitted on a rolling basis with no established deadline, and are reviewed by Annual Programs before being presented to the leadership committee for final approval.
▪ Student groups should identify a faculty or staff advisor in the application, and it is beneficial to know who the fundraisers and business managers for your department are.
▪ Faculty or staff members should inform the development officer in their area about the project.
I need to raise funds by a specific date. When should I apply?
Using the timeline outlined above, start with the due date and work backwards. Also, keep in mind that on rare occasions a campaign may be delayed for any number of reasons. Applicants are expected to dedicate ten (10) to twelve (12) weeks to each project.
How much information do I need to provide in the application?
As much as possible. When submitting an application, you should provide as much detail as possible, especially regarding the budget and distribution of funds raised, in order to ensure the project is approved in a timely manner. You will also want to demonstrate in full detail how the project will impact the GSU community in a positive way.
How are IMPACT Georgia State funds disbursed?
▪ Funds raised through IMPACT Georgia State are disbursed through a specific project fund within the Georgia State University Foundation. Project funds may be paid directly to vendors by the Georgia State University Foundation or paid through PantherMart using a Foundation speed type as the funding source. Annual Programs can provide more details regarding funds disbursement.
▪ All new crowdfunding projects must establish a project specific fund with the Georgia State University Foundation. Departmental business managers within the college or unit should be involved in one of the initial project meetings to ensure all financial processes are managed properly. (Note: If you need to create a project fund, a Project ID request will need to be submitted to the GSU Foundation. Project ID requests should be submitted as soon as the project is approved, and no later than three (3) weeks prior to the projects’ start date).
Why should I use IMPACT Georgia State rather than another crowdfunding platform?
▪ IMPACT Georgia State is the only approved fundraising platform for crowdfunding projects affiliated with Georgia State University, and all projects receive support from Annual Programs.
▪ 100% of the funds raised go directly to the project. There are no fees associated with making a gift through IMPACT Georgia State, and donors do not have to worry about the authenticity of the cause they are supporting.
▪ Donors who give through IMPACT Georgia State are making a gift directly to the Georgia State University Foundation rather than giving to a third party crowdfunding platform. That means their gifts are tax-deductible and they are subject to the same record keeping procedures as regular Georgia State Donors.
What types of projects are successful on IMPACT Georgia State?
Ideal crowdfunding projects should have an achievable goal (generally between $2,000 and $10,000), a compelling case, a tangible student benefit, and a large audience to appeal for support. It is also important for IMPACT Georgia State projects to have a solid group of participants willing to invest time and effort into planning, launching and fundraising for your project.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions about an IMPACT Georgia State project or application?
Michael Rohling, Assistant Director of Annual Programs, administers the IMPACT Georgia State platform. He can be reached at email@example.com.
IMPACT Georgia State is a crowdfunding tool to fuel top-tier innovation. It enables the Georgia State Community – alumni, parents, and friends – to help students and faculty fund their passions and make an impact.
Yes. All payments will be processed through our secure giving website facilitated by the Georgia State University Foundation.
Your gift will be tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by the law.
Yes! You will receive an immediate email confirmation, and the Georgia State University Foundation will send you a receipt for your contribution shortly after you make your gift.
Credit card gifts are processed immediately upon finalizing your gift on the site.
No, only one-time gifts will be accepted for IMPACT Georgia State projects.
No. All gifts to IMPACT Georgia State projects will need to be submitted online through the platform to the specific project you wish to support, unless you are able to make arrangements with the project leaders for a payment that can only be made by check.
Please visit our about page to learn more about crowdfunding with IMPACT Georgia State
Please contact Michael Rohling, Assistant Director of Annual Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.